Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Eh-eh Lunch



I admit, I feel a little eh-eh about this lunch. It's fairly uninspired. However, I figured I'd share it with you anyway for anyone out there like me who is hungry for bento photos good and bad. I have an apple with peanut butter in the muffin tin, two chocolate turtles and a fruit by the foot, a cheese sandwich, and baby spinach with some lemon juice. It's a pretty American lunch.

At this point I'll share with you the fact that I'm lactose intolerant, I'll stick some tips for others out there who have issues with dairy behind the cut.

More...
I find that my difficulty with dairy can make packing lunch a challenge sometimes. I'll want to bring one thing but my condition will mandate that I find another way or spend a ton of time sick. Here are some alternatives for other lactose intolerant people.

1. Find other yellows and oranges to bring color and life to your bento: lemons, bananas, oranges, carrots, squash, and others.
2. Find a creative way to pack a lactaid pill. Some are sold in packaging that allows them to be broken into single serving pills easily. They can be stuck between dividers or put in condiment cases.
3. Dry cheeses are generally safer than moist cheeses that haven't been aged.
4. Substitute margarine for butter, this is also a healthier alternative.
5. Some soy products can be stored out of refrigeration until opened and can be a nice safe addition to a meal.

No comments:

Post a Comment