Thursday, January 22, 2009

Dilemma Lunch



I know it might sound odd that something as simple and mundane as packing lunch might present a dilemma. However, for me this evening as I went to pack the lunch I'd half planned I found myself frozen in front of the fridge. I'd cooked dinner with the intent of packing the leftovers as lunch. However, I'd decided that I wanted something light and refreshing as I should have time tomorrow morning for a decent breakfast. What I'd made for dinner was burgers and homemade french fries, not exactly a light dish.

So here's the compromise I've found. Instead of packing something heavy like rice or something in a sauce instead I packed a large fruit salad with kiwi, blueberries, and apple bunnies. In between the larger dividers I slipped a prepackaged slice of cheddar cheese. I packed the burger, but instead of a bun to accompany it I packed cucumber. I went easy on the cookies (They're Hello Panda cookies by the way, and absolutely delicious. I'd highly recommend them). The condiment container has some organic ketchup, and I packed my homemade bento-sized fries. For the simple french fry recipe click the link below.

More...



This recipe is unbelievably simple and convenient for days when you don't have a lot of time to prepare for lunch.

Ingredients:
Vegetable Oil
Raw Potato
Ground White Pepper
Kosher Salt
Sharp knife
Nonstick pan

Cut the potato into whatever shapes you like. For the purposes of this lunch I cut the potato in half before making it fry shaped as I knew that the divider I would be putting it in couldn't accommodate long fries. The only thing to keep in mind is that thick pieces won't cook all the way through. Keeping it thin is best. Put the vegetable oil in your pan and set on medium heat. Once the oil is hot fry the raw potato on the pan turning once it turns a golden brown on the first side. When the fries are done to your liking take them off the pan and put them on a plate with paper towel laid out on it. Dry the fries and sprinkle lightly with ground white pepper and kosher salt.

No comments:

Post a Comment